Student Health Services » Medication Administration Requirements

Medication Administration Requirements

Medication Administration at School


Grand County School District complies with state laws regarding medication administration at school. The points below summarize the district’s policy and state law. For a full copy of the district policy or state law, you can follow the links below. All medications require a physician’s medication administration order and a signed parental permission form. Forms may be obtained from the school nurse or downloaded from this site and returned to the nurse.


  • Students may only self administer and self carry emergency medications such as epinephrine, albuterol inhalers and insulin.
  • The nurse or other designated staff may administer other non-emergency medications.
  • Medications should be in labelled pharmacy containers and transported to and from the school by a parent/guardian.
  • Non-emergency medication administration requires a Medication Administration form signed by parent and physician.
  • Medication orders must be renewed at the beginning of each new school year.
  • Medications should be picked up by the parents at the end of each school year. Medications not picked up will be discarded.
  • Over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol and Ibuprofen may be administered at school with parental permission.
  • Students are not allowed to self carry ANY non-emergency medications.