JOB DESCRIPTION: School Secretary
Under the direction of the principal, performs a variety of clerical and support work involving both specific routines and broadly defined policies and procedures; greets and interacts with the public, works cooperatively with staff, students, and parents, and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Meet and interact with public and employees in routine situations which require tact, discretion and courtesy.
- Provide a variety of clerical duties involving all but the most complex matters.
- Give information and interpretations of policies or procedures related to departmental or school activities.
- Establish, maintain and monitor accurate, neat and efficient electronic and manual filing systems.
- Sort and classify incoming mail and other information for efficient disbursement to appropriate recipients.
- Prepare letters, memoranda, reports, bulletins, handbooks, questionnaires, requisitions and other materials from marginal notes, rough drafts, verbal instructions or dictating equipment.
- Compile information from various sources on a variety of standardized forms.
- Assist in the orientation and training of the employees or volunteers.
- Prepare accurate minutes of meeting. (Not necessarily applicable)
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete security.
- Order/tally lunches daily and provide month-end summary. (Not necessarily applicable)
- Gather and prepare appropriate attendance/accounting information.
- Maintain office bulletin board. (Questionable)
- Schedule and coordinate Individualized Educational Program (IEP) meetings. (Not necessarily applicable)
- Request monthly budget activity reports for program staff - large school.
- Assist with and log fire, earthquake and emergency drills. (Not necessarily applicable)
- Enroll and discharge students. Request records from prior schools, distribute school records.
- Maintain classroom key distribution and record-keeping.
- Conform to District policy regarding attendance and absences. Employee attendance must be adequate to perform the above listed essential job functions.
- Drive a car.
Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Not limited to the following:
- Physical ability to perform the above listed essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical, mental, and emotional requirements will be developed when needed for purposes of reasonable accommodation.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary to Performance of Essential Functions:
- Computer skills.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited institution at an acceptable academic level to be determined by the Grand County School District.
- Two years clerical/secretarial experience, including word processing.
- Ability to communicate effectively and help others.
- Successful work background.
Desirable Knowledge & Abilities:
Specifically for This Position:
- Previous experience in a public school setting or institution of higher education.
- Experience working with students and parents.
- Ability to perform minimal bookkeeping procedures.
- 4. Hold and maintain a Utah Driver's License.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain clerical records and prepare simple reports.
- Ability to learn and interpret rules, regulations, laws and instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to use English correctly and appropriately.
- Ability to perform required clerical work accuracy and within established timelines.
- Ability to operate a variety of office machines.
- Ability to utilize word processing, data base and spread sheet programs on the computer.
- Ability to meet and interact with public and employees with tact, courtesy and discretion.
- Ability to compile information from various sources and type on a variety of forms.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in the interrelation and application of standard practices and procedures.